What do you do when you’re in the food capital of France? You eat!
Les Terrasses de Lyon is a michelin star restaurant, located half way up between the old town and the gorgeous Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière. The restaurant is part of the Relais & Châteaux luxury hotels & restaurants chain.
Six of us were seated on the covered terrace, with gorgeous view of Lyon. Unfortunately it was a gloomy overcast day, but it’s not hard to imagine how amazing it would be if it was a bright blue sky day, and even more stunning at night.
So we sat down and took in the view.
After about 15 mins of waiting, a waiter came along with the menu. We’re still not sure what happened here, what’s the cause of the long wait, is it their custom, was it to ensure we take in the view before we’re distracted by the food? We’ll never know.
So we studied the menu, then one of the boys mentioned his analysis on which menu would get you more bang for buck.
The girls were puzzled. How much? What price? Where are you getting the price from?
From the menu! Here! , replied the boys.
My menu doesn’t have the price! No, neither does mine! said the confused girls.
As it turns out, there are two versions of the menu. Ones with price, for the gentlemen. For the ladies? No price. How clever.
We all decided to go for the 49 Euros set menu
- Tiny waffle cones with truffle tapenade mousse and pine nut mousse
- Orange tomatoes with soft cheese and pesto
- Salt & pepper, with a cool brass chef statue
- Beetroot with fresh tuna, wasabi sesame seeds, fancy pod vegetables, fancy green stalks, and a whole lot more beetroot. Too much beetroot for me.
- THE MOST AMAZING STEAK I’VE EVER TASTED IN MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE. SO TENDER, MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH, WITH AMAZING SAUCE. AHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT MORE NOW.
- Fish, grilled to perfection, served on a bed of flavourful mash potatoes and curry sauce. I’m not normally a fan of fish cooked the non-asian way, but this, this is how a piece of fish should be served. Amazing.
- Chocolate macaron (a massive one), layered with raspberry jam, lots of fresh raspberries, tempered chocolate disc, and raspberry sorbet. To die for.
- Petit fours: peanut butter chocolate candy, blueberry macaron, pistachio profiterole, and the prettiest looking raspberry mini tart. Oh so good.
I would go back here just for that piece of steak. I would.