Dal is one of my all time favourite dishes. It’s such a delicious comfort food. I can eat bowls and bowls and bowls of them (with rice of course).
Recipe inspired by: http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/restaurant-style-dal-tadka/
- 1 cup Moong dal, soaked overnight
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green chilies, cut lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, pounded
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida/hing
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves), crushed
- 1 Tbsp Coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, pounded
- 3 Dry whole red chilies
- 10 Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
How to put this together
- Wash the soaked moong dal a couple of times.
- Heat 1 tsp oil, add onions. Fry until fragrant.
- Add green chillies + ginger + turmeric powder + hing. Fry until fragrant.
- Add moong dal + water + onion mixture to pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 5 minutes. The consistency should be like a thin pumpkin soup
- Add garam masala powder + crushed kasuri methi. Mix with hand whisk.
- Season with salt. Taste
- Take off heat. Add coriander leaves, mix well.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil on low flame in a small pan.
- Add cumin seeds + dry whole red chillies + garlic. Fry until the cumin seeds crackle, the garlic brown, and the chillies change colour. Be patient, don’t increase the heat – you don’t want to burn them.
- Add curry leaves, fry for a few seconds
- Add red chilli powder. Mix well and turn off heat.
Serve dal in a bowl topped with tadka. Serve with basmati rice