What you need:
- 300g Silken tofu, cut into 12 chunks
- 6 Shiitake mushroom, stem removed, diced (I use fresh ones if available, otherwise soak dry ones overnight then squeeze out water before dicing)
- 1 tsp Roasted peanut oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, pounded
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, pounded
- 2 Tbsp Chilli Bean Sauce. I use Lee Kum Kee brand.
- 1 cup Water (or 1 cup water mixed with 1 tsp Bouillon powder)
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing (Chinese cooking wine)
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Tapioca powder, mixed with 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp Spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Sesame oil
How to put this together:
- Heat roasted peanut oil in a pan, add garlic + ginger + chilli bean sauce. Fry until fragrant.
- Add shiitake mushroom. Fry for a few minutes until mushroom is cooked.
- Add water. Bring to boil.
- Add Shaoxing + soy sauce + sugar. Taste & season.
- While continuously stirring the sauce, slowly add in tapioca powder water. You must be stirring constantly, otherwise the sauce will become lumpy
- Add in tofu chunks. Gently cover the tofu with the sauce. Be very gentle so you don’t break up the tofu too much.
- Serve with spring onions to garnish & drizzle with sesame oil
Serve with steamed Thai jasmine rice