My Mum’s take on garlic & pepper pork – the ultimate garlicky goodness
What you need:
- 350 g pork shoulder (2 thick slabs)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (for marinade)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce (for marinade)
- A pinch of ground white pepper (for marinade)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp Kecap Manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- A pinch of sugar
- A pinch of pepper
Dipping sauce (optional)
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder (as per your heat preference)
- 1 Tbsp sprint onion, finely chopped
How to put this together:
- Tenderise the meat using meat tenderiser (looks like a hammer). Skip this step if you don’t have one.
- Marinade pork slabs with 1 tsp garlic + 1 Tbsp soy sauce + a pinch of pepper. Leave for 15 mins (or overnight)
- Heat a griddle on high heat. Sear pork slabs 2 mins on each side. Don’t worry about it still being rare – we’ll cook it again
- Rest the meat for 5 mins
- In the meantime, make the sauce by combining all the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Taste. Adjust flavour to your liking.
- Thinly slice the meat (2-3 mm)
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add garlic. Fry until fragrant.
- Add sliced pork + any juice from meat resting & slicing.
- Add soy sauce + oyster sauce + kecap manis + sugar. Stir-fry until well mixed and pork slices are cooked. Taste. Adjust seasoning if required..
- Add pepper powder. Mix well.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and dipping sauce