My mother-in-law’s recipe – very very delicious!
What you need:
- 1 cup dried black eyed peas, soaked in plenty of water overnight
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp ginger, pounded
- 1 Tbsp garlic, pounded
- 2 Tbsp bottle masala powder (recipe is coming)
- tamarind juice
- coriander leaves, finely chopped
How to put this together:
- Soak black eyed peas in plenty of water overnight. Drain.
- Heat oil, add chopped onion, fry until fragrant
- Add ginger & garlic. Fry until onions are translucent
- Add bottle masala powder. Fry until fragrant.
- Add drained black eyed peas + 2 cups water
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes. The beans should be soft, but not mushy soft. They should still retain their shape
- Season with salt + tamarind juice
- Simmer on low heat to reduce the liquid down to your preferred consistency. 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add chopped coriander leaves
Serve with basmati rice or chapati