What you need:
- 1-1.2 kg pork (I use 500g thick-cut pork steak + 700g pork ribs)
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 star anise
- 2 tsp black peppercorn
- 2 tsp sechuan peppercorn
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 10 cloves garlic
- Few coriander roots (optional)
- Light soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Sweet soy sauce
How to put this together:
- On medium heat, pan roast the dry spices: star anise + black peppercorn + sechuan peppercorn + coriander seeds
- Put pork + ribs + star anise + black peppercorn + sechuan peppercorn + coriader seeds + garlic + coriander roots + 2 tsp salt in a pressure cooker pot. Add 1.5 litre water. Bring to boil, and pressure cook for 20 mins. Or simmer slowly until tender (2-3 hrs)
- Remove pork & pork ribs from the soup
- Drain the soup through a sieve to remove spices bits
- Add 0.5 litre of water (or more if you simmered instead of using pressure cooker). You want enough soup for 6 bowls of noodle soup
- Season with light soy sauce (start with 3 Tbsp) + Oyster sauce (start with 2 Tbsp) + Sweet soy sauce (start with 1 Tbsp).
- Taste, and add more seasoning if required. You want the soup to be a combination of sweet & salty.
- Put pork back into the bits-free soup
- Simmer for another 5 minutes
- Eat with steamed rice (and chilli sauce) or make Thai braised pork noodle soup. Recipe is coming!