Thai Jungle Curry Paste
- 4 slices galangal
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 4 shallots
- 20 cloves garlic
- 10 dried chillies, large ones (for colour), cut into small chunks and soaked in hot water for 15 mins.
- 10 dried chillies, small ones (for heat), cut into small chunks and soaked in hot water for 15 mins. You can add more if you like it spicy
- 1 tsp shrimp paste (กะปิ), wrap in foil, and grill for a few minutes
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 g pork, thinly sliced. You can also use beef
- 200 g green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 140 g (drained weight) bamboo shoots
- 2-3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5-10 fingerroot (กระชาย), sliced into thin strips
- 10 kaffir lime leaves, rip off the leafy bits and discard the stalk
- Red chillies, de-seeded & sliced (optional – this is for decoration)
- a handful of basil leaves
How to put this together:
- Cut galangal + lemongrass + shallots + garlic into small pieces
- In a blender (I use magic bullet) or pestle & mortar, grind/pound together all the ingredients. If using magic bullet, you can add a little bit of water to help it along
- Heat 1 tsp oil on high heat. When oil is really hot, add green beans. Give them a quick stir-fry, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil on medium heat. Add curry paste. Fry until fragrant.
- Add meat and turn the heat up to high. Fry & mix well.
- When the pork is cooked, add 400 ml water + bamboo shoots. Bring to boil.
- Add fish sauce + sugar. Taste & season.
- Add beans + fingerroot + kaffir lime leaves. Taste & season again.
- Add red chillies + basil leaves. Turn off heat.
- Serve with steamed rice