What you need
- 500g stewing beef, diced to about 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 250 ml Guinness
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
How to put this together
- Heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, brown the beef cubes. Transfer to plate. Make sure you don’t over-crowd the beef pieces in each batch.
- Add onions + garlic. Saute for 3-4 mins.
- Add chicken stock + Guinness + bay leaf + tomato paste + salt + paprika + sugar. Bring to boil.
- Add beef. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add a splash if water if you think it’s getting too dry/thick.
- Add carrots + potatoes + celery chunks. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 20-30 mins, until the vegetables are done. Taste & season.
- Serve with crusty bread