Makes: 6 x 1 foot long sausage
What you need
- 750 g fatty pork mince (at least 20% fat)
- 3 lemongrass
- 20 dried red chillies (add more if you prefer it spicier), cut and soaked in water to soften
- 5 large dried red chillies (for colour), cut and soaked in water to soften
- 1 Tbsp galangal, chopped
- 1 Tbsp turmeric, chopped
- 2/3 c shallots, chopped
- 1/4 c garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp shrimp paste (กะปิ)
- 2/3 c coriander leaves, chopped
- 2/3 c spring onions, chopped
- 20 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- Sausage casing (I use collagen casings, but feel free to use intestine)
How to put this together
- In a magic bullet (or pestle & mortar) blend together lemongrass + red chillies + large chillies + galangal + turmeric + shallots + garlic + shrimp paste. Add some water to help it along (if required)
- Mix together the paste + pork mince + soy sauce + fish sauce
- Take a small sample, cook it up in the microwave. Taste & adjust seasoning
- Add in coriander leaves + spring onions + kaffir lime leaves. Mix well.
- Fill the mixture in sausage casing. Do NOT overload the casings with filling – keep them a bit loose.
- Preheat oven to 190 C (on grill).
- Place sausages on a wire rack (make sure you put a dripping tray below to catch the juices). Using a skewer, poke small holes all over sausages to stop it from bursting when cooking.
- Grill for 30 mins, turning them half way through.
- Finish them on a pan to get nice sear marks
- Slice them up, and serve with sticky rice and fresh vegetables (cucumber, cabbage, lettuce, carrots)