Amazing flavours. Just make it.
Recipe from Rick Stein’s “India” cookbook.
What you need
- 700g chicken thighs (skinless & boneless), cut into 1.5 inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorn
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 x 1 inch cinnamon sticks
- 150g shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cm ginger, minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Handful curry leaves
- 100ml water
- Handful coriander leaves, for garnish
How to put this together
- Put fennel seeds (1 Tbsp) + cumin seeds + coriander seeds + black peppercorn + chilli powder into a spice grinder (I use magic bullet). Grind to a powder.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat
- Add fennel seeds (1 tsp) + cinnamon sticks. Fry until fragrant.
- Add shallots. Fry until soft & golden brown.
- Add chicken. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add garlic + ginger + sugar + salt + spice blend + curry leaves. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add water, and keep stirring until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick & cling to the chicken.
- Sprinkle over chopped coriander leaves
- Serve with rice