Original recipe by Ina Garten : http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-granola-bars-recipe
Makes: 8 bars
What you need
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup Sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup Desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup Wheat germ
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 5 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Dates, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Dried apricot, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Sesame seeds, or mixed seeds
How to put this together
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Put oatmeal + sliced almonds + desiccated coconut on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 mins, stirring half way through. The mixture should be light brown.
- Pan roast wheat germ
- Line an 8 x 8 baking tin with parchment paper.
- Reduce oven temperature to 150 C
- Put the toasted oatmeal mixture in a bowl. Add wheat germ. Mix well.
- Put oil + honey + brown sugar + vanilla extract in a pot over medium heat. Bring to boil, then take off heat.
- Pour the syrup over toasted oatmeal mixture. Mix well.
- Add dates + apricots + sesame seeds. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into lined baking tin. Press down gently with the back of spoon.
- Bake for 20-25 mins, or until light golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Cut into 8 pieces, and store in airtight container.