Spaghetti alle vongole is my hubby’s favourite Italian dish. This gets ordered if it’s on the menu.
Here’s a spicy twist on the dish – and one of the most requested dish for dinner
What you need:
- 170g Dried spaghetti
- 1.5 cups Frozen clam meat
- 2 cups Frozen clam with shells
- 3 Tbsp Garlic, thinly sliced
- 10-15 Dried chillies, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder (for colour)
- 1/2 cup Vermouth or white wine
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- A handful of chopped Parsley or Basil
How to put this together:
- In a large pot, add lots of water and a general amount of salt. Check cooking time guideline on the packet. Add spaghetti and keep an eye on it.
- In a pan, add olive oil + garlic. Cook on medium heat until fragrant.
- Add dried chillies. Cook until fragrant.
- Add chilli powder + vermouth. Bring to boil.
- Add salt to season.
- Add clam meat + clam with shells. Taste & season.
- Before the spaghetti gets to the al dente state (it should still be very bite-y in the middle) – use tongs to transfer spaghetti into the clam pan. Add a few splashes of pasta water into the pan if required.
- Cook spaghetti in clam juice & wine for a few minutes. Until all the liquid evaporates and pasta is al dente. Add more pasta water if the pasta is not yet cooked to your liking.
- Add chopped parsley/basil. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.